Yup! This weekend was my first time going to a music festival. I’ve been to many concerts, but never had any interest in attending a festival. As much of a Jay Z and Beyoncé stan I am, I still had no desire to experience The Made in America festival.
My main issue with festivals are the large crowds. And not just large crowds, but large crowds of people mulling about – high, drunk, etc. – just not my thing. I’d prefer you to be high and drunk in your seat, in a stadium.
This time I was coerced into going by a sweet 15 year old I call my niece. “Heeeeeeeeeeeeey Auntie. I don’t know how to start asking you this, Buuuuuuuut I was wondering if you’d like to go with me to the Meadows this September? There’s this band I really like that’s gonna be playing there on Saturday September 16 and dad said I DEFINITELY can’t go without an adult.”
Now do you see how I got myself into this? What kind of monster auntie would I be if I didn’t make it happen for my baby girl? So, the day came for us to go and I braced myself the best way I could with the knowledge I had, which I quickly learned was not enough.
Here are some things I learned from my first experience attending a festival.
- Comfortable shoes – by the 5th straight hour on my feet, I believe my feet went home and left me behind
- Converse ain’t it – pick the shoes that’s meant for walking
- No need to go early – even though I had to check in early for press passes. I could have gone an hour or two later
- Baby wipes a must – let’s just say it was HOT and I was sweaty
- Wear comfortable clothes – dress for the weather, otherwise you will suffer
- Stool, chair, blanket or something – it will come in handy
- You’ll surprise yourself – when you’re desperate you WILL sit on the floor
- Prepare to spend – I’m assuming because I was with my niece and she has requests and shit, it brought up my initial budget. But uhh, say bruh… Festival food and drinks are expensive
- Help a stranger – bring deodorant for the people dem because they will start to ferment after hours in the sun
- Don’t go with a fresh weave – I now have to wash my whole ass head
- Ear buds may save you – I mean, only if you want to prevent hearing damage
- Purchase VIP packages – just because it seems comfortable
Lastly, get put on to something new. Who knew that the Gorillaz are dope AF? I didn’t, but I do now.